Hi fellow adventurer! I’m Marie and I’m new to camping. Why create a blog as a novice? I’m learning a lot of things very fast, and I would like to share them. I noticed that a lot of beginner’s naive questions remain unanswered, and I want to fix that by creating a resource for novice campers and backpackers. Also, blogging is fun. Welcome!
A few words about me: I moved to Maryland from Portugal in 2020 in the middle of the pandemic (0/100, wouldn’t recommend), I’m a PhD student in Neuroscience, a boardgame nerd, a cat lover and a neurodiversity advocate: I have bipolar disorder and I’m open about it.
We mostly do car camping in a tent, although I’m also interested in backpacking and I’ve done a bit of that.
- Beach camping in winter: Assateague islandLong walks on a beach, breathtaking sunrises and wild ponies… if any of those are your thing, you must visit the Assateague island. Read below about general winter […]
- 14 Boardgames for CampingI’m a big boardgame fan, so car camping trips rarely go without throwing one or two into my bag. If our campsite has a brewery/taproom nearby, and we […]
- 6 tips to survive winter backpackingSo we went backpacking in Joshua Tree National Park in November. It was a lot of things, fun, beautiful, memorable, incredible… but also, COLD. Lessons I learned: 1. […]
- Food for an easy backpacking weekend. Vegetarian, non-ultralight.We are going on a weekend trip. Here’s the food I’m bringing. We are leaving on Friday evening, drive to the park, and hike 1 mile to the […]
- Food for a weekend backpacking tripSomehow I managed to pack *just* the right amount of food for the weekend. I returned home with 1 tea bag and 1 coffee bag (both taken just […]